Salary range students expected to earn:
- $30,920 per year Bureau of Labor Statistics
Where are past program graduates employed:
- At community & retail pharmacies across the Northern Virginia Region.
What is included in tuition:
- All books, materials, and National exam fee.
What is not included in tuition:
- If you plan to do the optional externship, then students are responsible for drug screening, background check and immunizations.
Program description and Certification info:
- Course content includes medical terminology specific to the pharmacy, reading and interpreting prescriptions, and defining drugs by generic and brand names. Students will learn dosage calculations, I.V. flow rates, drug compounding, dose conversions, dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control, and billing and reimbursement. Measurements and conversions require a high degree of math literacy. Pharmacy Technicians are sought-after professionals in pharmacies located in hospitals, drug stores, doctors’ offices and grocery stores. With a CPhT certification from NHA, you’ll have the credentials you need to invest in your future and prepare for a rewarding career as a Pharmacy Technician.
Clinical externship description:
- There is an optional 80 hour clinical at a local pharmacy that commences upon successful completion of the course and all drug screening, criminal background and immunizations are complete. All students who want to participate will need to have following items completed 3 weeks prior to the class ending. If the submission is not complete then you will not be placed: MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, TB Skin Test, Tdap, clean 10-panel drug screen, clean criminal background check and a resume. For vaccines that are in a series, you need to have them started, you may not be able to complete them before your class ends.
Please read the student handbook ( http://www.nvcc.edu/workforce/docs/PharmacyTechnicianStudentHandbook.pdf ).